Netwatch is one of the features of RouterOS which functions to monitor network connections whether it’s up or down. So we will immediately find out the condition of the Mikrotik network when it is down and up again via e-mail or SMS.
How Netwatch Works
The concept is like this, Netwatch will ping certain hosts (IP address or domain) with certain time intervals such as ping every 1 minute. If when the
Well, I already know how Netwatch works. In this
How to set Mikrotik Netwatch
Before starting, make sure you have set up the Mikrotik email configuration.
If we have set the Mikrotik Netwatch:
- Open Winbox, go to the Tools menu -> Netwatch
- Click the + button to add netwatch host.
- Fill in the Host with google.com or its IP address 22.214.171.124. Why Google? We choose Google because Google servers are always alive.
Interval: what is the time interval for each ping (default = 1 minute)
Timeout: how big is the timeout indication (default = 1000ms) if the reply is more than 1000ms, RTO will be calculated.
- Click Apply -> Ok
- Enter tab Up. Here we can enter the script to send e-mail automatically when
internetis up. Here is an example of the script:
- Please edit the script yourself, fill in your e-mail yourself. If already click Apply -> Ok
- Please try to disconnect the internet connection from your Mikrotik a few moments then connect again.
- Check the inbox in the destination email that you entered in the script. If the settings are correct, a notification email will appear if the internet connection is down and up again.