For those of you who are still unfamiliar with MikroTik, you must be confused with terms related to Mikrotik. What are the terms in the Mikrotik?
The following is a collection of terms in the Mikrotik which often appear Mikrotik menus:
- System, a package that must be installed because it is the core of Mikrotik
- PPP (Point to Point Protocol), is a package that contains the PPP protocol. This package is required for serial communication features using PPP, ISDN PPP, L2TP, and PPTP and PPP on Ethernet (PPPoE) communication. PPP packages are used for Wide Area Network communication by using asyncronous and synchronous mode serial communication.
- DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), a package that contains both DHCP features needed to become a client or server.
- Advanced-tools, includes e-mail client features, ping, netwatch, traceroute, bandwidth tester, traffic monitoring, technology, and other utilities, which are often needed to determine the condition of the router and network. Netwatch feature is one feature that allows Mikrotik to be smarter and can choose configurations based on the script (order sequence) according to network conditions (netwatch).
- Arlan, is a proxy support for using ISA cards arlan 655 Wireless Interface in order to transparently communicate with their opponents.
- GPS, proxy can use the Global Poetry System (GPS) receiver as a reference for Network Time Protocol (NTP) time and location.
- Hotspot, is used to carry out authentication, authorization and accounting users who do network access through a hotspot gate. Hotspot users before accessing the network need to authenticate via a web browser with both http and https (secure http) protocols.
- ISDN, proxy router can function as an ISDN client or server. Dial-up functions can be set permanently or dial-on-demand. The IP address given by the ISP can be used as the default route table.
- LCD, is used to display information on microtic system conditions via a mini LCD layer that is connected to parallel or USB.
- NTP (Network Time Protocol), is used to align computer time systems in a network.
- LAN radio, proxy supports the use of wireless radio LAN.
- The Router Board, is used to support proxy usage on special circuit boards. The special circuit board is basically the minimum computer (without hard disk controller, VGA and sound) with a network card, the power supply is simpler (enough + 12 VDC) and the performance is very minimum. The router board that can be used by proxy is a 200 and 500 router board
- Routing is needed if the network uses routing dynamic. Mikrotik can use RIP, OSPF, and BGP version 4.
- Security, contains support for communication security. This package is required by proxy to run IP security (IP Sec), Secure Shell, and to run Win Box in safe mode.
- Phone, useful for managing communication services using Voice Over IP (VoIP). This package in addition to providing the gatekeeper function also supports the use of some VoIP hardware attached to the Mikrotik Router OS.
- UPS, this feature makes it easy for administrators to monitor and secure the router from damage due to power supply interference. To do this, the router will always monitor the UPS battery condition when the main power supply is not available. If the condition of the UPS battery is below 10% then this feature instructs rauter to be in hibernate state and ready to return to active when the main power supply is back.
- Mikrotik web proxy, at the same time can be used as a normal HTTP proxy and transparent.